The professional standards provide:
- a clear public statement regarding the standards of the profession
- a basis for self-regulation
- a seamless guide for professional development for preservice teacher education through to established professional practice
- a focus for teachers to evaluate and analyse their practice and plan for professional development
The Professional Standards for Teaching recognises four career dimensions for which different standards might apply: graduate, competent, accomplished and leadership.
Classroom teachers in the Territory wrote the standards with reference to a variety of documents already in use in those States where the professional standards were in place. Through the writing and consultative process, the TRB has canvassed a wide cross section of teachers including Indigenous and non-Indigenous teachers in urban and remote locations, government and independent schools, teachers working across all levels of schooling and specialist areas of education, and teacher educators in Northern Territory tertiary institutions.
The NT Professional Standards for Teachers will be superceded by the National Professional Standards for Teachers in 2013.
- Graduate teachers (pdf 162 kb)
- Competent teachers (pdf 164 kb)
- Accomplished teachers (pdf 95 kb)
- Graduate, competent and accomplished teachers (pdf 96 kb)