Translate website:
English Filipino Greek Indonesian Italian Vietnamese

You are here

Teacher registration & employment

Interstate and local teachers

Registering to teach in the Territory

To teach in the Northern Territory Government School you must

Apply to:

  • Department of Education (DoE)
    DoE is the employing body for teachers in NT Government schools. After you register with DoE, principals will be able to view your application.

Register with:

You do not need TRB registration to apply for a teaching job. However, we strongly recommend that you register with TRB to ensure your application receives priority consideration. It can take up to 8 weeks for the TRB to process an application.

Go to: for further information

Overseas teachers

Qualifications and residency

If you are a teacher from outside Australia, you must hold a teaching qualification assessed as comparable to a minimum of four years recognised teacher training.

The Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations can assess your qualifications.

The NT Department of Education only considers applicants who can give us satisfactory evidence of Australian citizenship, residency status or an Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship work permit.

If you are interested in migrating to Australia you should initially approach the nearest Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate. They will be able to give you information on migration criteria, qualification assessments and procedural requirements. You may wish to ask for information about the General Skilled Migration program.

Other options for teaching work within Australia may be available through an International Teacher Exchange. These generally last one year. To participate in an international teacher exchange program you will need to have completed five years of teaching experience and must also provide appropriate accommodation for your exchange partner.

We have agreements with education authorities in New Zealand, the United Kingdom, including Northern Ireland; the Canadian provinces of Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario; – Colorado and Minnesota in the United States of America.

If you are interested in a working holiday, you may apply for a 12-month visa, with approval to work for 6 months at a time with any one employer. The department may consider offering relief teaching or a short-term contract.

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) is designed to help employers in regional or low population growth areas of Australia who are unable to fill skilled vacancies from the Australian labour market. Employers may nominate people from overseas, or temporary residents already in Australia, to fill vacancies that are full-time, skilled and available for a minimum of two years.

Go to: for further information