Special Education Services
The Education Advisors - Special Education provide educational support to school-age children from 6 to 18+ years of age with developmental delay/disability or who are at risk.
The support is offered to schools and families across various settings throughout the Northern Territory by:
- Assisting in the process of identification of children with special needs
- Assisting schools and families to make appropriate and informed decisions about interventions and educational options for students with disabilities
- Suggesting and modelling appropriate teaching and learning strategies to help with classroom management and the delivery of the curriculum
- Observing and assessing students who have been identified as needing assistance and reporting their findings to various stakeholders
- Providing assistance with the transition between school placements through programme creation and implementation and on the ground support
- Providing professional learning opportunities to special education teachers and support staff including disability specific topics and programmes, current policies and Student Services Division protocols and procedures
- Planning and facilitating Special Education Forums
- Keeping up to date with current research and best practice through readings, attending professional learning opportunities and conferences NT and Australia wide.
Where appropriate, support, input and assessment can be requested from Student Services personnel. This includes Guidance Officers; Education Advisors for Vision and Hearing; Behaviour Management Team; and Early Childhood Intervention Team. These services are requested through the Principal.
To contact the DECS School Support Services Services please click here.